When my father, Odysseus, and his men sailed off to the Trojan War, they were confident their gods favored a quick victory. Instead, the siege of Troy lasted ten years. After Troy fell, the survivors made their way home to Sparta, Mycenae, Pylos, and elsewhere in the ancient Peloponnese. Neither my father nor any of his troops arrived home with the rest. We waited for years as the news grew worse. Odysseus was dead, we were told,or imprisoned, or, worst yet, he had married another woman and abandoned my mother Penelope, my brother Telemachus, and me.


If he is alive somewhere, his thoughts may wander to Penelope and Telemachus, but he won’t be thinking of me. I am the daughter he doesn’t know exists. Odysseus went off to the Trojan War when his son, Telemachus, was barely old enough to walk. His wife, Penelope, was a teenage bride, and is now a young wife, mother, and queen who has to try to rule Ithaca without him.


I was born seven months after he left. I am a hero’s daughter and a princess of his realm, but I have lived my entire life without a father. I’m nineteen now, and still waiting.


All over the world, and throughout history children grow up as I have. This website will focus on the children of those men and women who have gone off to fight America's wars, and provide information and resources for all who care about military families and want to help.

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Military Child's Bill of Rights

Found this online this morning:

Military Child Bill of Rights

I am a military child. Like my mother, father, brothers, and sisters, I am proud to serve our country too. Since I am a military child, my service should be recognized. I will grow strong serving alongside my family as long as I have:

A clean and safe place to live

Great schools that welcome me

A safe and fun place to stay when my parents are sent away

Good doctors I can easily visit when I don’t feel well

A community that supports me and lets me know I am valued

Courage and support to keep my family strong while we are at war

Leaders who will remember my family will still have needs when the war is over

Adults who remind me I’m still a kid

Time with my mom or dad so it doesn’t feel like they are still away even when they are home

Someone to talk with who understands me

Currently, there are more than 1.7 million military children under the age of 18. Remember: “Kids Serve Too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment